Sunday, September 13, 2009

Praying for one happy family . . .

So, it has obviously been a while! I've actually accomplished some things. It is amazing what can happen in one week when you stand your hair dresser up for your appointment, You pull your kids out of Mom's Day Out, your speech and feeding therapist has to cancel her standing appointment times with your kids and the teacher that comes over for an hour each week gets a day off due to Labor day! I'm not complaining . . . except for the haircut part. If you see me within the next several weeks, don't expect me to talk to you. I'm going to avoid everyone! I couldn't get back in for a haircut for another month!!!!! OMGosh! I might have to document how much my hair can grow!

I promise to try my best to be back here tomorrow to show you some of what I've done! But for now I want to dedicate the rest of this blog entry to my friends {in real life} - the Wombles. I've known them for more than half my life. And for most of that, we {all their friends} have known they were going to be adopting a baby from China. Seriously, they have been talking about their daughter in China since about the time they got married {uhmm, a decade+ ago!} We have known about this little girl before we knew about their other two children. First off, we knew this baby was a she, pretty confident in the fact that she would have dark hair and dark eyes and positive she was coming from China!

Well folks, the day is here - in approximately 4 and a half hours, they will meet her . . .


I'm so excited that I can't stand myself. My stomach hurts and I've got anxiety something awful at this moment. This sweet and beautiful baby was born only 2 days after Em. Since we have known whom the Wombles were adopting, I've compared Em to her the entire time. And they actually have very similar stats. I can only imagine what comparisons my friend Mommy Womble has been doing the whole time.

This sweet and beautiful baby has not been in the typical orphanage, but has spent the majority of her life with a foster family. Which to her is her family. We all are so concerned about the transition. In any situation such as this, it has got to be hard for the child. So young with a communication barrier. And I don't mean the fact that the Wombles can't speak Chinese. I know when I talk to Em, she just smiles and points to everything and says, "this." ??? I wonder what MeiMei will be thinking. I wonder what type of grieving her foster family will go through? Although they knew it was a temporary situation, at the same time I'm sure they were hoping that some how she would never leave. As happy as the Wombles are to finally have their puzzle complete, others in this situation are going to be missing a huge piece of theirs. It breaks my heart while at the same time I am rejoicing.

China has blogger blocked {is anyone surprised?} But the Wombles can check their email. A friend is posting while they are gone so you can really see some of what they see. I urge you to visit their blog and comment. She asked for comments because she was told by other adoptive parents that "comments are your lifeline to home." Please do me a favor and comment. I just want them to know that they have a ton of people thinking and praying for them.

Come on guys - on a day I put up a new post, I easily get 800 hits. I want to blow her stat counter threw the roof! Will you please do this for me?!?! Read this and I know you will want to -

Today is our one morning--our ordinary day--except it is anything but ordinary. Prior to today, September 14 has been just another day on the calendar. After today it will never be ordinary again. Much like May 8. November 25. June 18. March 27. All are dates within the circle of this family. Days that changed our lives for the better. We are on an emotional roller coaster this morning as we contemplate what is about to take place. We are thrilled to finally greet this day--MeiMei Day--although our overall feelings are bittersweet. Today MeiMei will transition from her foster family to her forever family. To most that would seem like a glorious day. It is, for us, but not necessarily for her. While we have loved her for months, even years, the reality is she has not loved us. We know she is going to grieve the loss of those who have cared for her over the past 18 months. How do we explain to an 18 month old that we have loved her from afar--we have prayed for her since before her birth--we are not temporary--we are her forever family in ever sense of the word? We know the answer. It isn't possible. Our request today is for you to pray specifically for MeiMei. Please pray that the God who knitted her together will comfort her. That somehow, beyond fear, language and cultural divide the peace that can only come from Him will surround and comfort her grieving heart.

I need to leave a real comment on this last post. I got the cry-baby syndrome when I read it that I couldn't think of anything to say! Figures, I'm always at a loss for words when it really matters!

So, go NOW to The Womble Times! And let them know you were there!

9 comments:

Allison said...

Going there right now, to say a word or two fro MeiMei.

Unknown said...

I posted - what a sweet story! On another note - I just saw one of your pieces on the Young House blog!!! I noticed it immediately and knew it was yours - you go girl!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing. will go straight there and let them know we're praying for them & their family.. new & old.

Katie said...

WOW, what an exciting moment for them. Thanks for sharing!

The Higginbotham's Blog said...

What a great day for them. I will pray that the transition is easier than they expect!

Unknown said...

How exciting. I am going over there right now.

Danine said...

Oh sooo happy for the Womble's! One of my oldest friends growing up just adopted a baby girl from China also. She finally got her about 4 months ago and the language barrier hasn't been that much of an issue (Taylor is also 2 years old!).

Happy, happy day for the Womble's and blessed many more to come!

Krista Lee said...

What a sweet story and an adorable little girl!

Mommy said...

Dear Kim,

It has been over six weeks since you wrote this beautiful post dedicated to our family. Several people emailed it to me while we were in China but honestly I only made it half way before I caught the cry-baby syndrome and had to delete it. I knew it would still be here when we returned. Your bloggy friends left their beautiful well wishes for MeiMei and our family. Some of them are still following along even now. I want you to know how much your words--your intentions--your sentiments meant to us. I've had the cry-baby syndrome for six weeks now for various reasons, as you know, but those days in China felt like neverending tears. The daily comments, just as others predicted, were our lifeline to home...to our babies, our friends, our family and complete strangers who prayed diligently for us while we were away. Thank you so much for attempting to make sure our family was loved well. We will never EVER forget.

Hugs-
M