Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I've learned a big, fat lesson . . .

{not that I didn't know it already} - Don't paint when children are awake . . . it must be during naptime OR bedtime. No matter how little time I need, no matter how many quick strokes it will take, no matter if it is to only rinse out the brush - I CANNOT PAINT WHEN MY CHILDREN ARE AROUND!!!

Here is a perfect example why? I painted this lovely "B" - actually I painted the one in the upper right hand corner first. The painting was complete - all that was left was to antique it a little bit. I thought to myself, "I can do that right now . . . downstairs with the kids . . . they will never know what I'm up to. Then I will have the rest of the day for it to dry and then I can seal it and Boom{!} it will be ready to ship!" Seriously - what could go wrong? Well, I brushed on the finish {I normally wipe it off immediately!} But one of my kids did something and I had to walk away for a brief 17 seconds! Came back and tried to rub it down. I rubbed so hard paint started coming off the canvas! Original "B" canvas = trashed!! I had to start over! For that 17 second walk-away! The re-do is the lower left "B" {obviously!}

Yes - I do freehand these. And you can really see in this one the difference! I try to make these look alike - but that's hard! I hope to acquire that talent one day!

I must tell you - the challenge to painting is shaking off perfectionism! I have a bad case of it. I would say about 2/3's of all my paintings get a practice run on a small canvas - or get re-done for some reason to do with "it doesn't fit in my standards" - and "my standards" are high! I'm thinking I will show you some before's with the afters from now on. I'm not ashamed!! I think you all would like to see my thinking process on these things! And how I arrive at some of the designs!

6 comments:

Megan L Hutchings said...

You free hand? What? You are AMAZING ;)!

I actually like the original one...very vintage ;)!

pve design said...

I free hand and over the years have "many" stories of my wanting to "just finish" this and my 3 children are shouting, "Mom, when are we going to eat." I also need time so I often stay up late or get up early to find quiet and time that is uninterrupted. It does get easier with each lesson that we teach ourself!
Beautiful "B"! I give you an A+ for effort!

Rachel Spence said...

heh heh should have known sista!

Anonymous said...

My sister has 4 kiddos and she's a designer- I totally get where you are coming from!!!

SunshineandRavioli said...

Well, you have a sheltie, you are married to a soldier AND you paint?Yet another thing we have in common! Ok I do not have four kids (but even with two I have learned not to do any painting when they are around), I'll give you that one. (0; I actually like both versions of this painting...great job!

Things That Inspire said...

I found your blog today after reading a post on pve, and I am so glad she spread the word! I love your work.

I always drew and painted as a child, and rediscovered my love for painting when volunteering to do art auction items for my children's classes. I have also taken a painting class or two, but the need for perfection has really weighed me down. I have the expectation that everything I create be absolutely perfect and sensational, and it doesn't always work out that way! This year, with all of my kids at school all day (for the first time ever), I am going to try to tap into my artistic side a bit more, and be a bit more forgiving with myself.