Friday, March 7, 2008

Nope, not lining the back of the red shelf!!!

Alright - this has been a longggg week, I mean really longgggg! Again, I must bring up all the shipments that should have went out 11,100 weeks ago!!! My mother-in-law came over to help today {finally over her funk}, I had all my packages ready to go {except for shipping labels} and my printer ran out of ink!!! Can we say BLACK CLOUD over here!! And it really ran out of ink!! I shook it, beat it - you name it, I did it - there is NO MORE ink in that cartridge!!! ARRGGGHHH!! Lonnie said he will be bringing me one home. Of course, they are predicting 3-5 inches of snow around that time, but I will get these out TODAY - I swear!!! Okay, so Lonnie will get these out today, I don't drive in that crap!! But I promise I will make him do it!!

So, about yesterday's post . . . .

Picture frames!!!


All of my boys are now in the same room. And it is every color that you can imagine!! Once we get them all in twin beds {since currently 2 are in cribs,} they will all have denim duvets and each have a different quilt folded at the end of the bed. Hudson has the ABC quilt that Pottery Barn Kids had a while back. The first one, not the second one. It has all my "happy" colors in it. I have 2 different quilts picked out for Carson & Lawson - eventually the room will come together, until then - it is driving me NUTZ!!

But anyhoodle, I'm still not completely through with the frames. I don't really have any pictures that I want to put in them, so I am going to print out some stuff to stick in them. You know, stuff like "H is for Hudson" , "L is for "blah, blah,. . . . just cutie stuff like that! But since I don't have any flippin' INK, that is also on hold!!! I will post a picture once it is all complete!

I guess you all want to know how to make them??

here's what you need

frames - these were actually frames that I got around Christmas time {at Hobby Lobby of course!} They were just basic MDF {fake wood} with an easel back. I ganked the easel off of the back {literally.} I'm sure you could use a regular frame, but these MDF frames are definitely the BEST to use!

scrapbook paper
modge podge {crafter's best friend!} and paint brush
a bone {or just something with a flat edge}
fine grit sand paper
ribbon
drill w/wide drill bit

Make sure the frame surface is clean. Smear/brush Modge Podge {a thin layer will do} over entire "face" of frame. Now, lay your desired paper on the glue. Make sure you lay it straight, you can't really take off the paper and reposition it without making a "big, hot mess"!!! Immediately take your bone and start rubbing all the air bubbles out from between the paper and the frame. Now just let it dry!!! Once dry, take your sand paper and begin rubbing across the edges. The paper will just fall off with a smooth edge. Wipe all the dust off with a dry towel/rag. Measure out for 2 evenly spaced holes and then drill them out. Thread your ribbon through, tie knots and BOOM - your done!!! EASY BREEZEY!!

If you run into any problems, comment - I'll get back to you!!

You can leave the easel backs on and I swear they look good, too - I actually did those several years back and gave them as gifts. Another really great idea for this technique is modge podging paper to letters. Surely you all know what I'm talking about. For some groovy letters, check out this site as well as their etsy site - I've ordered from Say It With Letters - they are quick to get your order to you, super swell to work with and have soooo much to choose from!! You can also find unfinished letters at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc - all craft stores have them!

Have fun and let me know what you guys modge podge!!!

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Cute! Love the frames. I have ModgePodge that I've used one time (unsuccessfully). I'll have to give it another try.

Natalie said...

Ok, remember I am decorating dumb when I ask you these questions ... how does the picture stay in the frame? It looks like it is just a hole??

Anonymous said...

Hey this looks familar!! ;) Great job!!