Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Something other than paints . . .


I did finish up 2 more paintings today, but didn't take a picture due to the fact it was sooooo late when I completed them. And with as bad as I am with taking pictures, I've got to have some type of natural light!! So, I'll post those in the morning. But I did create something else today {other than an utter mess} - my curtain over the kitchen sink!! Actually, I completed it yesterday - but got the "L" brackets on the board and it all hung up - nice and fancy!! I have long panels of the same fabric hung on the other, much larger windows in the kitchen, but needed something a little different for this window . . . but this little number was a big pain in my rumpus!!! Let me start off by saying that I hate using a pattern on most anything that I sew {sometimes it is inevitable, but I just deal with it when I have that issue!} Measurements - the only way to go when it is custom!! This should have been a very simple little number . . . for Pete's sake, I used a store bought, already lined panel!!! All I had to do was cut off the top at the appropriate measured length, sew loops down each side, staple to a board, attach to L brackets, hang it, then thread string into the loops and lastly tie them off!! {That would be the simple version - no need to go into specific details!!}

I really thought the fabric was stiff enough to hold a better shape than it did - well, it's NOT!! I got that "joker" hung up, looped up and it looked like a deflated balloon on a board - HORRIBLE, I tell ya!! I had to take it down and completely rethink my originally, great idea!! Okay, I'll use a dowel - simple enough - I had to pull out the sewing machine {because the original plan only called for the minor hand stitching of the loops} and sew a pocket all the way across the curtain. Well, the stupid pleats that I thought would look so great - caused their own little ordeal!! I had to measure, pin, remeasure, pin again, oh - I'd say 3 to - maybe - 9 times!!! What a crazy, hot mess!! But once I got past that, the dowel pocket was a snap. I {finally} put the dowel in and "VOILA!" You see what I got!! I like it, I really do, BUT I actually spent time sewing fringe on the bottom that you can't even see!!! {okay - I did use a sewing machine on that, but I did it forever ago when my machine was out for another reason - so that don't count!!}

I guess I could add another row of hoops down the middle and actually have it more like a roman shade. Heck, I could even screw in the hooky-dos on the board and use it as a roman shade, . . . but who cares. If I wanted a roman shade, I'd made that originally!! This is when a "simple project" takes way too much of my time and brain cells. I just hate that I wasted the time, money and effort on that stinkin' fringe!!! Lesson learned -

Enough of my aggravatedness, I figured I would start posting a few pictures of my house. So many of you guys are inquiring what it looks like and how it is decorated!! Nothing fancy, I mean - I do have kids - alot of them. But, I will start posting more of the inside of my house for all those "inquiring minds!!" I'm all about the greens, golds & chocolate browns right now. Are those colors even "in style" currently??? I don't really follow the trends so much in my decorating {for that matter, how I dress either - haha}, I just go with what I really like. Decor trends tend to change so quickly - who can afford to keep up with that!! Maybe if my name was "Oprah!!"

4 comments:

Mommy said...

I think it looks fab! Thanks for the grand tour yesterday. It's lookin' good my friend.

Anonymous said...

I don't know why I don't come to this blog very much... This is great! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE your kitchen window. I don't know how you do it!!!

Melissa Santanastasio said...

as if i did not have a big enough compex now you sew too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!STOP THE INSANITY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cara said...

Kim, the window treatment is so pretty with your granny smith apples on the window seal...talk to you soon!